Colonel Michael G. Sawyer
Colonel Michael G. Sawyer is the Vice Commander, Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla. AFTAC operates and maintains the United States Atomic Energy Detection System to monitor foreign compliance with various treaties limiting nuclear testing. The focus of AFTAC’s more than 1,000 professionals is to detect special events in the atmosphere, underwater, underground and in space, to determine if they are nuclear, and to report them to national decision makers.
Colonel Sawyer received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Texas A&M University in 1994. He has served at the squadron, wing, center, Air Staff and Combatant Command levels with overseas assignments in Alaska, Germany and Romania, and deployments to Italy, the United Arab Emirates, Spain and Afghanistan in support of a Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force.
He is a designated Eurasian Foreign Area Officer, was selected as an Assistant Air Attaché before being boarded as a squadron commander, and is a fully qualified Joint Specialty Officer.
Prior to assuming his current assignment, Colonel Sawyer was the Deputy Director of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization Human Intelligence Centre of Excellence in Oradea, Romania.
- 1994 Bachelor of Arts in Russian, Texas A&M University
- 2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2000 Master of Science in Finance, Brandeis International Business School
- 2002 Language and Area Studies Immersion (LASI), St. Petersburg, Russia
- 2004 George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
- 2004 Master of International Affairs, The George Bush School of Government and Public Service
- 2006 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence)
- 2008 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
- 2009 Air War College (correspondence)
- 2012 Congress and the Intelligence Community, The Government Affairs Institute at Georgetown University
- 2015 Master of Science in Strategic Studies, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- March 1995 – August 1997, Financial Manager, 3rd Comptroller Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
- September 1997 – August 1998, Chief, Cost Analysis Branch, 767 AWACS Systems Program Office, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
- September 1998 – February 2000, Chief, Financial Management Branch, then Chief, Communications Branch, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Integration Systems Program Office, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
- February 2000 – November 2000, Student, Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
- November 2000 – June 2001, Watch Officer, USAFE/IN, Ramstein Air Base, Germany (with deployment to the NATO Combined Air Operations Center, Vicenza, Italy)
- July 2001 – November 2002, Chief, Commercial Imagery Element, Eagle Vision I (with deployments to the United Arab Emirates and Spain), 32d Air Intelligence Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
- December 2002 – August 2003, Imagery Operations Flight Commander, 24th Intelligence Squadron (Distributed Ground Station – 4), Ramstein Air Base, Germany
- August 2003 – December 2004, Graduate Student, George Bush School of Government and Public Service, Texas A&M University
- January 2005 – August 2009, Deputy Chief, Intelligence Plans Division, Executive Officer to the Deputy Director, Center for Special Operations (with deployment to Afghanistan), Military Assistant to the Political Advisor, and Special Assistant for Legislative Affairs, Headquarters Special Operations Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
- August 2009 – August 2011, Commander, Air and Cyberspace Analysis Squadron, later the 35th Intelligence Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
- September 2011 – September 2012, Chief, Congressional Affairs, Deputy Chief of Staff, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Headquarters, U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
- October 2012 – July 2014, Chief, International C4ISR Programs, Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force for International Affairs, Washington, D.C.
- August 2014 – May 2015, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- July 2015 – July 2016, Deputy Director, NATO HUMINT Centre of Excellence, Defense Intelligence Agency, Romania
- August 2016 – Present, Vice Commander, Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick AFB, Fla.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
- 1. January 2005 – August 2009, Deputy Chief, Intelligence Plans Division, Executive Officer to the Deputy Director, Center for Special Operations (with deployment to Afghanistan), Military Assistant to the Political Advisor, and Special Assistant for Legislative Affairs, Headquarters Special Operations Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., as a major and lieutenant colonel
- 2. July 2015 – July 2016, Deputy Director, NATO HUMINT Centre of Excellence, Defense Intelligence Agency, Romania as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Joint Service Commendation Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
- Second Lieutenant Aug. 12, 1994
- First Lieutenant Oct. 12, 1996
- Captain Oct. 12, 1998
- Major April 1, 2005
- Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2009
- Colonel June 1, 2015
(Current as of September 2016)