Chief Master Sergeant Michael S. Joseph
Chief Master Sgt. Michael S. Joseph is the Command Chief for the Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla., where he advises the AFTAC wing commander on matters concerning the morale, welfare, effective utilization and training of all enlisted members within the 1,000-person Florida-based center and its 14 detachments around the globe who support AFTAC’s international treaty monitoring activities. AFTAC operates and maintains the United States Atomic Energy Detection System to monitor foreign compliance with various treaties limiting nuclear testing. AFTAC is also the designated U.S. laboratory system that provides technical support to the United Nations’ International Atomic Energy Agency.
Chief Joseph enlisted in the Air Force in October 1989 where he initially served as an aircrew life support technician. After a tour as a military training leader and subsequent reassignment back to life support, he cross-trained into the Manpower and Personnel career field. Before assuming his duties as the AFTAC Command Chief, he served as the Superintendent of the 6th Mission Support Group, MacDill AFB, Fla., where he was responsible for advising commanders on issues that affect mission readiness providing professional guidance and career counseling to six diverse squadrons.
His multiple combat and contingency deployments include serving in a variety of positions in support of Operations Enduring Freedom and Inherent Resolve, with his most recent deployment as the Superintendent of the 332nd Expeditionary Mission Support Group at Al Jaber Air Base, Kuwait.
- 1994 Airman Leadership School, Columbus AFB, Miss.
- 2003 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Peterson AFB, Colo.
- 2007 USAF Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy (correspondence)
- 2008 Associate of Applied Science degree in Aircrew Life Support, Community College of the Air Force
- 2008 Associate of Applied Science degree in Human Resource Management, Community College of the Air Force
- 2009 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy in residence, Gunter Annex, Ala.
- 2011 Senior Enlisted Joint Enlisted Professional Military Education Course, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va. (correspondence)
- January 1990 – December 1991, Aircrew Life Support Technician, 14th Tactical Fighter Wing, Columbus AFB, Miss.
- December 1991 – January 1993, Aircrew Life Support Technician, 14th Operations Support Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
- January 1993 – September 1994, Aircrew Life Support Technician, 50th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
- September 1994 – February 1995, Aircrew Life Support Technician, 37th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
- February 1995 – January 1996, Aircrew Life Support Technician, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
- January 1996 – January 1999, Aircrew Life Support Journeyman, 557th Flying Training Squadron, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
- January 1999 – June 2002, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Aircrew Life Support, 560th Flying Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
- June 2002 – June 2005, Military Training Noncommissioned Officer, 23rd Cadet Squadron, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
- June 2005 – July 2006, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Quality Assurance and Training, 436th Operations Support Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
- July 2006 – May 2007, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge of Relocations, 21st Mission Support Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
- May 2007 – June 2008, Superintendent of Relocations and Employment, 21st Mission Support Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
- January 2008 – April 2008, Personnel Support for Contingency Operations Shift Superintendent, 376th Expeditionary Mission Support Group, Manas AB, Republic of Kyrgyzstan
- June 2008 – October 2009, Superintendent, Military Personnel Section, 21st Force Support Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
- October 2009 – April 2011, Superintendent, Air Force Personnel Services, North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
- April 2011 – July 2012, Senior Enlisted Leader, J-1/Personnel Directorate, North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
- July 2012 – July 2014, Superintendent, 20th Force Support Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
- March 2013 – October 2013, Superintendent, 332nd Expeditionary Force Support Flight, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan
- July 2014 – September 2014, Superintendent, 20th Mission Support Group, Shaw AFB, S.C.
- September 2014 – April 2016, Superintendent, 6th Mission Support Group, MacDill AFB, Fla.
- October 2015 – March 2016, Superintendent, 332nd Expeditionary Mission Support Group, Al Jaber Air Base, Kuwait
- May 2016 – Present, Command Chief, Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick AFB, Fla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal with six oak leaf clusters
- Joint Service Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- 1994 John L. Levitow Award, Airman Leadership School
- 1999 Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 12th Flying Training Wing
- 2001 Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 12th Flying Training Wing
- 2004 Distinguished Graduate and Academic Achievement Award, Senior NCO Academy
- 2010 Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, U.S. Northern Command
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
- Chief Master Sergeant Dec. 1, 2012
(Current as of May 2016)